Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My journey to lose the baby weight

  I have really hesitated whether or not to share about my ongoing journey to better health and weightloss. But since it's been such a big part of my life right now, I figured what the hec! 
 So, I have been struggling to lose baby weight for what seems like forever, and the struggle only gets harder and harder. I nursed all three of my children, I waited for the magic to happen where the baby weight would just effortlessly fall off. Three kids later, I can assure you that the magic didn't happen for me. 
   Somehow after Bella I managed to get down to only eight lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. After Jason I only got to 15 lbs from that original pre-baby weight. 

   When I found out I was expecting Lucy I told myself that I was going to be extremely careful and make sure that I didn't gain more than 20 lbs. And, with a lot of effort and resisting night time sweets I came close to achieving that goal. The day I delivered Lucy I was only 22 lbs more than my pre-pregnancy weight. By June I was down three lbs below my pre-Lucy weight, and it felt great. Now granted I still had 18 lbs of Jason and Bella weight to go, so I was no where near my goal. But I felt encouraged, and actually comfortable to wear cute dresses and not feel self conscious. I worked on my weight here no there, I walked, did occasional extra exercise. I wasn't able to restrict my calories very much on account of breast feeding, and for me weightloss depends on huge calorie cuts. 

  Then, end of summer beginning of fall 2013 hit. And out of all the years of financially struggling through undergrad and law school this was probably the time we struggled the most. We had barely any money at all, and Jay was commuting two hours a day which was literally burning through the budget leaving barely anything left for groceries....To say it was tight would be an understatement. So, I did what I had to do, and began to make tons of carb filled casseroles, breads from scratch, banana breads and anything that was cheap and filling. At first eating and cooking that way was kind of fun, I had an excuse to do a lot of baking and fun cheap meals. The fun ended when one day I could no longer ignore the fact that my clothes were getting tighter. Sure enough I had gained a whopping 14 lbs! Can you imagine?! Fourteen lbs from having less money for groceries! 

  I freaked out and tried to restrict calories, but alas my milk production dropped. I did walking and typical daily exercise, but I was convinced I didn't have time for anything more....I'm actually going to have to stop here! I'll continue the journey story(which is still completely a work in progress). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs