Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dinner & a Baby take 2

 I came up with this recipe on my own, inspired by the ingredients I had to work with. It's a toss up as to whether I should dub it "Thanksgiving Pie," or "Chicken and Stuffing Pot Pie." Call it whatever would sound most appealing to the people you are cooking for. Once again Lucy was my companion in the kitchen which automatically put me in hurry mode. She broke her record for shortest time possible to sit happily in her chair. I think it was tops three minutes...
This is me trying to smile during her ear piercing screaming:

  It's all about the attitude right? Anywho- here is the list of ingredients for the pie:

     1 frozen pie shell
     1/2 of a whole chicken
     1/2 cup chopped carrots
     1/3 onion chopped
     3 tbls of flour
     1 small box of stuffing
     1 cup water
     1/2 cup milk
     Salt and pepper 
     Garlic powder
     Thyme

 First sautée your carrots in oil until they are a little tender then add in the onion and continue to cook.

Next add your seasonings, I just sprinkled to my own preference. After add your chicken and flour, stir it all so that it looks kind of coated. Then add water and milk, cook on medium until thickened. 

 Prepare the stuffing according to the box instructions. Pour thickened chicken filling into the pie shell and top it with the stuffing.  Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When it comes out it should look like this:

 
 My husband loved how it turned out, which isn't always the case when I try something new. The kids were ok with it, I don't think they'll ever prefer it to pizza but they ate it. I served it along applesauce bc that's what I had in the house. I was nervous to post about a recipe that I made up, but really if you like chicken and stuffing you probably will like it. The ingredients were not expensive, making it a very cost efficient meal. Remember also you could sub turkey after Thanksgiving for an even thriftier budget meal. Try it if you dare!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs